Wednesday, September 18, 2013

When Ethics Beats Opportunism

This blogpost actually comes to me at quite the prime time. Referring back to my previous post, my position within the same student organization has been one I have been deliberating and contemplating for quite some time now. With classes, jobs, other organizations, and a looming early graduation date piling up on me, I have begun to panic. After prioritizing, I find this organization on the bottom of my list. However, this hasn't been the first time it has been there. Around this time last year, I found myself faced with the same situation: whether or not to resign from my board position or not.

The poster child for this organization has always been about spreading cultural awareness to the University of Illinois campus, however, for many, the real mission has been to provide a safe place and family for individuals. More likely then not, each board member is on board because of an instance, an instance where a new student walks into our event and looks for a friendly face or an instance when one reaches out in a time of need. This organization has served as a resource and home for many individuals and honestly is the main reason why many choose to dedicate their time and effort each year.

However, this instance never happened for me. I came onto board after only being a part of the organization for a month or so. I had developed a close friendship with an executive officer off the bat and ultimately joined as an extension of our friendship. While I also identified with the organization's cultural aspect and truly wished to find my cultural identity as well, I honestly never really felt any tangible results. So when school and other priorities started to topple on last year, I struggled to decide what to do. The opportunistic thing would have been to quit and finally be able to take a deep breathe of relief, be able to enjoy class and campus, take time for myself, and catch up with old friends. However, instead, a moral and ethical question arose for me. How was I to betray my friend whom got me this position, a position that had been sought after by many, and how was I to let down the rest of the board just so I could sleep a couple extra hours or go out to eat more often? When it came down to it, my moral code just wouldn't let me quit. I struggled through the year doing what I could but not enough. So now I ask myself again this year, but a different question: is it fair of me to only give the board half the vice president internal they could have? With other qualified candidates with twice the heart I have for the organization available, my moral code tells me maybe it is right to quit and face the distaste of many. This year poses a similar but different dilemma, and the opportunistic choice just might be the right one this time instead.

2 comments:

  1. I completely sympathize with your situation. Sometimes friendships, or relationships in general, can prevent you from acting opportunistically. I had a similar situation with my last RSO position. I wanted to resign so many times. It wasn't because I wasn't seeing results, but because it took a lot of time and energy. Eventually, something had to give, so despite my connections to the individuals in the organization, I had to resign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this case you frame this issue as a moral one, but I'm not sure it really is. It would matter for that whether a reasonable replacement was readily available. If so, where is the betrayal? You indicated that there were others who wanted the position. Whether any of them would be good replacements or not, you might know. As a reader I can't tell. But I can at least see it is possible that you've got the story wrong, and that by blocking somebody else who would do quite well in the position, you are actually taking an opportunity away from somebody who wants the job.

    My point is that to identify whether an act is opportunistic or not, you have to be quite clear on where the harm is.

    ReplyDelete